Financial Controller (Venice)
The position is based in Venice. Availability to frequent travels abroad is required.
The Financial Controller provides strategic leadership, functional guidance and valuable insights to Operations Leader, Partner, Executive Committee and Department Heads for optimal business decision; Interacting with hotel’s legal counsel, insurance companies, tax consultants, auditors, commercial and government banks to effectively control the assets of the business.
Provide strategic leadership and business support for the management team through the management of the financial analytics function, capital, projects, operational finance matters, procurement activities and prepare short and long-term plans, forecasts and budgets for capital and operating spend.
The Hotel’s Financial Controller will be a highly motivated team player with strong accounting, communication, business presentation, analytical skills, and strong systems background.
Direct the financial operations of the hotel to ensure the security of hotel assets and make recommendations to improve hotel profitability. Serve as primary contact for all hotel financial – and accounting-related issues with owners, auditors (internal and external) and regulatory agencies.
Reporting to the Hotel General Manager and Regional Finance leadership.
Duties and key responsabilities
• Use financial analysis, data trends and market information to anticipate needs, identify operating/financial issues, and recommend actions to maximize financial return.
• Create the annual operating budget for the property and provide analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for department heads.
• Analyse ROI for capital projects prior to committing funds and, upon completion, determine if anticipated results were achieved.
• Maximize cash flow performance of the hotel through controls on inventory (avoid excessive supply), credit and collection, disbursements, deposits, and remittances.
• Review rates and recommend rate strategy to the General Manager; participate in sales strategy meetings.
• Manage day-to-day activities, plan, and assign work, and establish performance and development goals for team members. Provide mentoring, coaching and regular feedback to help manage conflict, improve team member performance, and recognize good performance.
• Educate, train, and motivate finance and accounting teams to achieve hotel revenue goals.. Provide direction to hotel employees on how decision-making impacts profits.
• Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with key department heads.
• Respond quickly to guest requests in a friendly manner. Follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
• Ensure accounting practices, support the guest experience through payment options (example: credit card systems, room charges), inventory controls and financial dispute resolution.
• Implement and maintain acceptable accounting practices as required by company policy and procedures.
• Develop and implement financial control procedures and systems; maintain records for internal and external audits; ensure compliance with government regulations and contractual agreements.
• Participate in local recognized professional and industry organizations.
• Manage hotel contracts (example: vendor leases and/or service contracts).
• The Financial Controller will assist in preparing, in conjunction with the General Manager and other department heads, the annual budget, capital budgets and the rolling forecast. He will establish the annual budget preparation procedures and guidelines.
• To provide accurate and complete financial and management reports on a timely and accurate basis to hotel management, corporate office, and owners in accordance with the company and ownership reporting requirements and policy. In addition, the Financial Controller is responsible for reporting accurately and timely, the actual results as compared to budget/forecast results. He/she is to maintain adequate records to reflect the comparison of the actual expenditures for furniture, equipment, and operating equipment to the budgeted amounts.
• Responsible for the analysis and interpretation of the financial data and communicating this in a comprehensible form, of meaningful variations in the operations.
• To assist other department heads in the development and implementation of “corrective action plans” on internal and or external audit and operational reports.
• To assist in the development and implementation of benchmarking techniques that will enable the hotel to enhance revenues while improving productivity and cost efficiencies. To seek, identify and implement throughout the hotel best practices that will serve to enhance revenues, guest service, improve cost and productivity efficiencies.
• Ensure cash flow is adequate to meet the needs of the operation Approve all cash disbursements and ensure that all disbursements are properly documented and executed. Approve all rebates, adjustments, and allowances in accordance with company policy.
• The position is directly accountable to manage the hotel accounting department, information and internal control systems and hotel finances in accordance with all policy and procedures. This position is accountable for the development, documentation, and support of Financial Polices and Operational Procedures to include performance monitoring as it relates to the hotels.
• To protect the owners and the management company’s interest in the hotel assets and operations.
• Accountable for the development, documentation, and maintenance, within hotels, to ensure compliance with the requirements of internal/standard controls.
• Manage all facets of the capital process. Ensure all hotels establish and maintain the tracking of fixed assets sub-ledgers and depreciation.
• All laws and fiscal regulations of the area location, which effect financial matters of the hotel, will be complied with. This includes seeing that proper permits and licenses are obtained for such things as liquor licenses, sellers permit, business licenses, etc.
• The safe keeping of all lease and contracts and any other legal records and documents, which may affect the financial status of the hotel. Such documents are to be listed and keep current on the Critical Date List.
• To recommend and assist in the design, implementation, and use of methods and procedures that improve the accuracy of working schedules, labour standards, forecast, plans to assist operational ambassadors. Monitor on an ongoing basis the accuracy and recommend correct measurements as necessary.
• Developing, implementing, and monitoring credit and collection procedures and guidelines pursuant to “adopted” corporate credit policies.
• Perform other duties as assigned. May also serve as manager on duty.
• Supervises clerical accounting employees in a full range of functions such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Credit/Collections, Purchasing, Audit, and/or Accounting Operations.
Qualifications and requirements
Bachelor’s degree / higher education qualification / equivalent in Accounting, Finance and 5-10 years in hotel accounting or audit with at least two years in a Financial Controller or similar supervisory role, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
Knowledge of accounting management duties such as negotiating hotel space and tenant leases; performing asset management duties; providing business projections, displacement analysis, preparing government reports, filing tax returns, etc. as needed or requested. Professional accounting or finance designation or certification preferred.
Skills and knowledge
• Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure.
• Work closely with internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong analytical and numerical skills including a good understanding of financial valuation methodology.
• Advanced ability to use Microsoft applications i.e., Excel and PowerPoint
• Fluent in Italian and English
• Good interpersonal skills and influencing skills.
• Strong problem-solving orientation
Send your resume at email@example.com.